Monday, October 24, 2011

WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!!! ( DADS' BEAN SOUP )

THIS IS TOO FUNNY
So I put on the soup to cook, go and check my fb page and what do I find, a post of the same kind of soup and I'm thinking ya' know I should put that up for all my reader too just in case they don't know what they want for dinner, so here it is!!!

I know you will Love this as much as I do.  It reminds me of cold winter days and being all warm and cozy inside.  I serve this with sweet cornbread and lots of butter on the side.

DADS' BEAN SOUP

1 - 16 oz package dried northern beans (1 lb)
3 -4 meaty ham shanks, hocks or ham (1 - 1 1/2 pounds)
2 - small onion, diced
4 - carrots diced
1 - C. celery diced
water, enough to cover beans and ham

1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp tyme
salt & pepper to taste


Sort the beans for any pebbles and the rinse beans under cold water. Add the the rinsed beans, onion, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, and ham shanks, hocks or ham (chopped into large chunks) into the crock pot. Add enough water to cover the beans by about 2 inches. (about 6 - 8 cups)

Cover and cook on low for about 6 - 8 hours, or until beans are tender. Remove the ham shanks or hocks and pull off all of the meat. Return the meat to the crock pot.

Note: If you want to soak your beans first you can. I never soak my northern beans because they cook really well in the crock pot without soaking. If you do soak them then the cooking time would be decreased dramatically, so keep that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment